Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Jamie's quick sausage cassoulet

Well, I say "Jamie" in a pally way, but I mean obviously King Jamie Oliver. The thing I love most about Jamie Oliver is that whenever I make one of his recipes, it's always like someone else cooked it. Whatever I make, I taste in it my clunky ham-fistedness. But if I make a Jamie something, it's always as if it's been made by a proper cook.


So this is a thing we had on Sunday night before we went to see Kick-Ass, and it was great (the sausage thing and the movie). The recipe is so brilliant that I can just provide you with a link and a picture:







NOTE:

I tried this again the other night, but with a couple of changes to make it more of a classic cassoulet. Instead of roasting everything up in a tray, I put it in a deeper, rounder casserole pot, with one tin of chopped tomatoes and one tin of flageolet beans, halved shallots, whole garlic cloves and a large glass of red wine.
About 20 mins before the end of the cooking time, I whizzed up some breadcrumbs and sprinkled over the top.

The difference with doing it like this is that the whole thing has to cook for about 1hr 10 rather than 40 mins because it's wetter. But the result is really gorgeous, sticky and rich. So if you've got a bit of extra time, it's worth doing.

No comments:

Post a Comment