Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Classic Slow Cooker Beef Pot Roast – What's Next? A Jell-o Mold?

I’m not sure why I’ve always had such a bad attitude towards slow cookers. It does a great job turning out delicious braised dishes like this “7-bone” beef pot roast, it’s efficient, and could not be easier to use. So, then why have I used my crock pot fewer times over the last decade than ice skates? By the way, I don’t ice skate.

It probably has something to do with going to culinary school, and judging everything from the point of view of the professional kitchen. They’re certainly not something you learn about at a cooking academy, or see in the back of a restaurant, and are generally associated with the dreaded, “housewife cooking.” This is the same reason we can’t serve jell-o molds.

There’s no chef slur quite as hurtful as having your food called “housewifey,” which is ironic since most of us were first taught about food and cooking by housewives. I’ll have to work through these deep seated slow cooker issues with my therapist, but in the meantime I will say that I’m glad I dusted off the old crock pot and used it for this succulent pot roast.

The real secret here is making sure you sear the meat before the long, slow braising. The slow cooker does a great job of cooking the meat, but unless you brown the beef thoroughly beforehand, you’re missing out on a lot of flavor. I hope this entices you to drag out your crock pot, and get your housewife on soon. Enjoy!



Ingredients:
2 tbsp vegetable oil
salt and pepper to taste
AP flour as needed
1 “7-bone” beef pot roast (about 5 pounds)
8 oz sliced mushrooms
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp butter
1 1/2 tbsp flour
1 tbsp tomato paste
2 1/2 cups chicken broth
3 carrots, cut in chunks
2 ribs celery, cut in chunks
a few springs of rosemary and thyme
*Cook in slow cooker on high for 5-6 hours, or on low setting for 8-10 hours

No comments:

Post a Comment