Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Mustards Grill’s Mongolian Pork Chop – Video No. 700 Was All Me

Every once in a while, I post a recipe that I’ve received exactly zero requests for, and this gorgeous Mongolian pork chop is the most recent example – sort of ironic, considering this is video 700, and I’m celebrating the milestone by going rogue! 

While 95% of the videos you see are inspired by actual “food wishes,” sometimes I’ll remember something so delicious, I just have to add it to the library.

One of my favorite restaurants anywhere is Mustards Grill, located in California's beautiful Napa Valley. Mustards is owned and operated by chef Cindy Pawlcyn, and for decades has been serving the best kind of new American comfort fare. While I love all the food, the standout dish is their famous Mongolian pork chop.

This is my slightly simplified version, but still very close to what you’d experience at Mustards. She adds a little green onion to the marinade, and I would’ve also, had I not forgotten it at the market. She also puts a touch of cilantro in the mix, but I prefer to use it freshly chopped to garnish the cold mustard sauce (something I should have mentioned in the video, but did add to the ingredient list).

Once marinated, these pork chops can be cooked any way you like, but for the true experience, you’re going to want to cook these on a charcoal grill. For me, it’s the smokiness that brings all these flavors together, but pay special attention to my warnings about direct high-heat.

Once the chops are marked with magazine-quality lines directly over the white-hot coals, I open the grate and push the charcoal away from the center of the grill, so that the meat and flammable marinade isn’t directly over the intense heat. This ensures all that delicious smokiness, with none of that annoying, “Hey, Honey, I think the pork chops are on fire.”

Anyway, if you ever find yourself in Napa Valley, I highly recommend you stop in to Mustards and enjoy this great American treasure. But, if that’s not possible, or you simply can’t wait, then give this a try soon. Enjoy!


Ingredients for 2 Portions:

For the pork and marinade:
two 10-ounce bone-in, extra-thick, center-cut pork chops
1/2 cup hoisin sauce
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
4 cloves minced garlic
1 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
2 teaspoons sesame oil
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 green onion, light parts, minced

For the mustard sauce (this is enough for 4, but I didn't want to use 1/2 a yolk!):
1/4 cup red wine vinegar
2 or 3 tablespoons hot mustard powder, such as Colman's or Chinese style (add to taste!)
3 tbsp sugar (their sauce is on the sweet side, so feel free to add this to taste)
1 egg yolk
1/3 cup creme fraiche or sour cream (click here to see how to make your own)
cayenne, to taste
1 tsp Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp turmeric 
freshly chopped cilantro leaves, optional

*If you want the “real” original recipe, here's a link to check out.

No comments:

Post a Comment